My Attempts at Gardening

Recently I thought to myself, “Maybe I can actually grow things. Maybe I’m not the Grim Reaper of plants”. I was both right and wrong. In the pic below you can see a cactus through the window. His name used to be Cornelius, until he was almost mauled to death by a squirrel. After some drastic surgery, the conjoined twins were separated, and I now have Corn and Elius.

In the foreground you can see some flourishing herbs. I’m glad I took the picture when I did, because they perished soon after this. These were cuttings of mint and rosemary. I simply put them in a glass of water and they started to grow roots. I was amazed at myself, and started to gain confidence. They had beautiful, numerous roots, and I should have planted them, but I put it off, forgot to water them, and they died. Curse you, procrastination!

This is an idea I found on Pinterest, and it worked really well. This is a large salad mix box I reused as a tiny green house to sprout lentils!

Look how adorable! I put one paper towel in the container, scattered beans on top, added another paper towel, and got it wet once. The lid keeps the paper towels moist, and the lentils sprouted almost immediately. They were incredibly easy to grow, even as neglectful as I am.

Some of you may remember my previous attempt to grow lentil sprouts, which definitely did not go well. This new way was super easy and low maintenance. The sprouts are tasty, and didn’t mold or anything. I will do this again in a heart beat.

Advertisements

July 2, 2012. Tags: , , , , , , , . Cooking, House Stuff.

7 Comments

1. Teltsa replied:

Rosemary grows very well in TX. your mint however is a love of labor, in TX. If you decide to grow it be-careful with it. Do not put that plant in direct TX sunlight it will become a burnt up crispy critter. And because it is so dry, there has been crazy spider mites this year. Lavender also does really well here.

• thatcleverchick replied:

These particular herb cuttings were given to me, so I decided to give them a go. The plan was for them to live in a container. I might try rosemary again sometime, because I love it. I wish I could grow dill, but I’ve killed it and rosemary before. I’m a plant murderer!

2. Sara A. replied:

I told you I would help you make my magic bucket waterers but you never brought me any buckets.

3. Sara A. replied:

Oh also with your love of clay ollas might be up your alley. They are unglazed clay pots that you bury and fill with water.

But I think my bucket system is more efficient.

• thatcleverchick replied:

I have seen those! I wish my kiln was big enough to make some, because they would be easy. They make sense for large plots. My problem is always procrastination. On everything. I’m doing it right now!

4. Bill replied:

Hello Clever Chick, if that is your real name. I will build you a custom manufactured compost bin for you to create your own kitchen fresh compost. This will be made from a 55 gal plastic drum, on rollers, with a handy hinged opening for you to add kitchen wastes. In no time you will have lush, rich compost, which will properly feed your plants.