Corset top with coke tabs
At some point, somewhere, I acquired this top:
It’s kind of a camisole, tank-top type thing. It’s made of very light, flowy fabric, which is great for summer. Unfortunately, it was too tight on me, and I decided to play around with it. First thing, I slit it up the back, using the stripes for guidance to make sure I was in the middle.
I folded the raw edge under, then folded it again to hem it. The folded part is about a half inch wide.
Once that was done, I collected coke tabs to use for corset-style eyelets. I sewed them on individually, which took awhile. In the picture below, the are upside-down. I sewed them with the sharp metal parts facing into the fabric, not my skin. I placed each one so that the middle bar that runs across each one was just below the edge of the fabric, so that I could sew it to the fabric as well.
Here’s the whole back with all the tabs in place:
Here’s a bit of a close up: you can see that just the top of the coke tabs is showing past the edge of the fabric.
I threaded ribbon through the tabs, and I love the look!
Once I have it on, you get a blatant illustration of my body type, and the issues I have with clothes. Tiny waist, ample booty region.
I still like the top, but I may cut off the bottom 4 or 5 inches. You can also see my sunburn in this shot, which isn’t great.
I think this top will be great for a costume, like steampunk, gypsy, or pirate wench at some point in the future, and I may continue to alter it. It was a lot of work hand-sewing all the coke tabs on it, but I think it was worth it.