Lentil Sprouts

I found this article on Re-Nest about growing your own lentil sprouts. I have often wanted to grow my own mung bean sprouts, but everything I’ve read says you have to be super careful because they can carry Salmonella. I’m not sure if this is a really valid concern, or just hype, but I’m still hesitant to kill myself and Hubby. Who would take care of the animals, and the one cactus that has survived my attentions? You can see my quandary.

Anyway, lentil sprouts seem like something I can handle. I am constantly buying lentils, because I freaking love them, but Hubby has a very low lentil-tolerance-threshold.

Day 1: Lentils are placed in old pasta sauce jar, covered in water, and panty hose + hair band covers the top.

Day 2: Have read further about growing own sprouts, and I’m a bit paranoid about just making a horrible moldy mess instead. I pour out the water and replace it with fresh.

Day 3: Beans have split somewhat, and are all plump. I keep seeing bubbles, which make me worry I’m just making lentil beer. I pour out the water, rinse the beans twice, and refill the water.

Day 4: Ignored.

Day 5: Hmm…there are some bubbles in there, the beans are split, but nothing seems to be happening.

Day 6: What is that funky smell? Oh God, it’s the lentils. Yep, into the compost, as quickly as possible.

So I wasted a handful of lentils and a jar that stunk so bad it had to be trashed. I don’t want this site to turn into the Regretsy of Re-nest (mostly because I can’t think of a clever name for it), but damn, guys. Why do I keep reading this site? So far they have encouraged me to buy expensive crap I don’t need, ruin antiques, and waste food. Their rating in my book just went from “mostly harmless” to “mildly irritating”, and leaning toward “impending vendetta”. That’s pretty bad.

Advertisements

February 25, 2011. Tags: , , , , , , , , . Cooking, House Stuff.

9 Comments

1. jakeandrana replied:

You should check out the two posts I just did about my experiences with green sprout lentils. I’ve been super happy with the results. I think where you went wrong is that you’re only supposed to soak them the first night, and then after that you just rinse strain the water (shaking off as much excess water as possible). Try it out, they’re amazing.

• thatcleverchick replied:

That’s how I’ve grown sprouts in the past, but I was following the directions on re-nest, which sounded too easy to be true. And they were. It didn’t work. And it stank.

• jakeandrana replied:

yea, I checked out the Renest article and it was seemed weird that they’d leave them to soak in the water the hole time… not surprised about the smell

2. Chad Dore replied:

Not sure if you know this but about the easiest way to sprout anything is to use damp paper towels. Put two down, wet them, not soaked but pretty wet, sprinkle your seeds/beans/legumes, then cover with two damp paper towels. Place on top of the refrigerator or in the microwave (when its not running of course). You should see results rather quickly. Lentils start sprouting the next day usually. If the paper towels get dry dampen them again using a spray bottle mister.

• thatcleverchick replied:

I’m going to do it this way from now on. The other method seemed too good to be true, and it was.

• Chad Dore replied:

I would stick with different lentils, mung beans and chickpeas. Eating sprouted kidney beans can make you violently sick. Many health food stores have “sprouting blends” with seeds that are well suited to sprouting. Soaking overnight is not required but a 1 or 2 hour soak can speed up the process quite a bit. Most things that are sprouted will have a somewhat odd smell. Its part of the process and not dangerous. I like to rinse them every so often though, and definitely before eating.

• Chad Dore replied:

I forgot to add, this is a great way to start seeds of just about any type before planting. You can pick the ones that look the best. I would go from sprout directly to wherever its final home will be. Itermediate containers are ok for a lot of plants but they will slow down its growth.

• thatcleverchick replied:

I have done this to start morning glories before, and I’m planning to grow some again this year.

3. My Attempts at Gardening « My Attempts at Cleverness replied:

[…] of you may remember my previous attempt to grow lentil sprouts, which definitely did not go well. This new way was super easy and low maintenance. The sprouts are […]