The Hubby and I had a small-but-still-epic apocalypse party in December. We rented a projector and played Mad Max (this is a Movie You Should Have Seen by Now) on the wall of our living room. Of course, we also dressed up:
I had so much fun with our apocalypse make up! I used brown eye shadow to make the dirt around Hubby’s goggles. I used white Halloween makeup for mine, with red eyeshadow on top, and black eyeliner. I used black eyeliner for lipliner, then dark blue lipstick. I used black eyeshadow over top of the lipstick to seal it and darken the color. It came out really amazing and I wish I got better pictures.
The problem with the apocalypse is that it was supposed to happen so close to Christmas. I didn’t want to deal with decorating and un-decorating the house twice, so we simply had Christmas decorations up. If we’d had more time, I would have decorated the house with roaches (either plastic or cut out of construction paper), and our skulls and bones from Halloween. In fact, we could have left a lot of our amazing Halloween decorations up. I also thought decorating with jugs of water and stacks of canned goods would be great.
We didn’t have a lot of time, but we didn’t exactly skimp out on the theme. In addition to the movie projector we rented incredibly cheaply through Loanables, Hubby made a papier-mache globe which we smashed all to hell. Candy, dinosaurs, and pirates came out. It was an amazing time, and I can’t wait for the world to actually end.
As part of the Fallout party Hubby and I went to, I dressed as a Wasteland Surgeon. Part of the costume appeared to be canisters on the belt that looked like soup cans. Fortunately, I had several in the recycle bin ready to go. I peeled off the labels, then had to attach them to the belt.
I used a pair of black socks I was going to get rid of. I think they worked well, because the fabric is stretchy. I used half a sock, wrapped around each can, and sewed together.
I call this “Frankenstein” stitching. It’s ugly, and thick, but serves the purpose. This part was going to be facing the belt though, so it doesn’t really matter what it looks like.
I hunted around the house for medical looking implements to stash in my utility belt. Cotton balls and an ace bandage were a no brainer, and then we just happened to have all these syringes laying around! They don’t have needles on them, since they are for giving medicine to the pets orally. We collected them from various trips to the vet, and now I’m glad they were filling up that drawer in the kitchen.
Latex gloves, dog nail clippers, medical tape, and of course duct tape rounded out my medical supplies.
To attach the cans to the belt, I just used some tan yarn. I tied a loop at the top and the bottom. Using the socks worked great here, because the yarn sank down into the fabric, and had a really good grip on the can. I left the tails hanging on both loops.
I used the hanging ends to tie each can onto the belt. I tied all three very snuggly together so they would help keep each other in place, and vertical.
Here’s the finished product:
A pipboy and Nuka Cola added to the authenticity. Using make up to add dirt all over was fun, plus I rubbed and dripped red paint a few places to make pretty convincing wounds.