As part of the Fallout party Hubby and I went to, I dressed as a Wasteland Surgeon. Part of the costume appeared to be canisters on the belt that looked like soup cans. Fortunately, I had several in the recycle bin ready to go. I peeled off the labels, then had to attach them to the belt.
I used a pair of black socks I was going to get rid of. I think they worked well, because the fabric is stretchy. I used half a sock, wrapped around each can, and sewed together.
I call this “Frankenstein” stitching. It’s ugly, and thick, but serves the purpose. This part was going to be facing the belt though, so it doesn’t really matter what it looks like.
I hunted around the house for medical looking implements to stash in my utility belt. Cotton balls and an ace bandage were a no brainer, and then we just happened to have all these syringes laying around! They don’t have needles on them, since they are for giving medicine to the pets orally. We collected them from various trips to the vet, and now I’m glad they were filling up that drawer in the kitchen.
Latex gloves, dog nail clippers, medical tape, and of course duct tape rounded out my medical supplies.
To attach the cans to the belt, I just used some tan yarn. I tied a loop at the top and the bottom. Using the socks worked great here, because the yarn sank down into the fabric, and had a really good grip on the can. I left the tails hanging on both loops.
I used the hanging ends to tie each can onto the belt. I tied all three very snuggly together so they would help keep each other in place, and vertical.
Here’s the finished product:
A pipboy and Nuka Cola added to the authenticity. Using make up to add dirt all over was fun, plus I rubbed and dripped red paint a few places to make pretty convincing wounds.